December 30, 2014
There has always been a lot of music in this house, but I want Cozy to be surrounded by the best there is. I feel lucky that my mom loved jazz and I think I became a Brubeck fan in utero. As you can see from Cozy’s College of Music Knowledge, I’m a fan of the ancient art form known as the “album.” It represents a complete vision from an artist.
This is probably the last year for a while that I will be buying a lot of new albums. Music got us through the pregnancy and now sometimes helps baby sleep. My love of rap music took a back seat this year as a screaming baby and Killer Mike raging against the machine really don’t work well together. But it was truly a great year of music.
It was also a great year for Latin music, highlighted by our road trip to LA to attend the Supersonico Fest, seeing Café Tacuba, Calle 13, and other great stars. I discovered so much great music listening to NPR’s Alt Latino podcast, I could do another Top 20 list of just Spanish language albums.
So these are the 20 albums I spent the most time with in 2014. Maybe not the best, but the ones I really connected with. The Against Me! album is easily #1. Perfectly crafted punk songs that give voice to the transgender experience. Maybe the most important record of the year.
Top 20 Favorite Albums of 2014
- Against Me! – Transgender Dysphoria Blues
- Beck – Morning Phase
- Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers – Hypnotic Eye
- St. Vincent – self titled
- La Santa Cecelia – Someday New
- The GHOASTT – Midnight Sun
- Jack White – Lazaretto
- The War on Drugs – Lost in the Dream
- Ages and Ages – Divisionary
- Miranda Lambert – Platinum
- Spoon – They Want My Soul
- Ceci Bastida – La Edad de la Violencia
- Thom Yorke – Tomorrow’s Modern Boxes
- Ryan Adams – self-titled
- Lucinda Williams – Down Where the Spirit Meets the Bone
- FKA twigs – LP1
- Pacifika – Amor Planeta
- Lily Allen – Sheezus
- Chrissie Hynde – Stockholm
- Lana del Ray – Ultraviolence
Various Artists – The Art of McCartney, New Pornographers – Bill Bruisers, Steelism – 615 to Fame, Sinead O’Connor – I’m Not Bossy, I’m the Boss, Beyoncé – self titled, Bob Dylan & the Band – The Basement Tapes Raw, Calle 13 – Entren Los Que Quieran, U2 – Songs of Innocence